Sunday, June 29, 2008

Submissive, Gentle

The most pointed part of my "mantra" (which see in a recent blog) is the phrase, "be submissive and gentle." The entire mantra is significant, but this phrase provides the most intense and reliable spiritual jolt. "Submissive" by itself doesn't do it. Neither does "gentle" by itself. It takes both of them.

Clearly this is an area in which the Lord is especially desirous of having me make progress. My basic personality is neither submissive nor gentle. The two together form a total disconnect, but my nature is to be changed to fit. Only God can change our basic nature. Can I doubt that He will succeed? If so, is it not my faith that must be strengthened?

Alma 7:23 is the only place in scriptures where this combination occurs. Elder Scott's talk was vital for me to hear and to experience.

No comments: