Saturday, March 14, 2009

I'm becoming my mother?

“Why do you read those trashy novels?” Mom asked me on more than one occasion.

“They're not trashy,” was my habitual defense.

“They're just made up stories,” she'd counter. “Worthless.”

“What should I read?” As if I didn't know. She'd always point to the scriptures.

I considered this to be inexcusably provincial on her part, and I attempted to broaden her appreciation and tolerance by drawing her attention to our great body of uplifting literature. She remained unconvinced and, with time, read only the scriptures and finally only the Book of Mormon before she lost her sight to macular degeneration and descended into “sweet confusion” as described by her assisted-living caretakers.

In general, I'm happy. I have a joyful lightness of step much of the time if not most of the time. I've often wondered if I'd have achieved this decades earlier if decades earlier I'd have adopted the habit of weekly endowment sessions. I know twenty-somethings who do this and they show obvious spiritual benefit. I wish I'd have been one of those twenty-somethings. I feel like I lost decades.

In any case, the joyful lilt is enhanced by said endowment sessions, BYU devotionals, CES firesides, general conference, In Performance, Orchestra at Temple Square, Music and the Spoken Word, FARMS, J. S. Papers, the Ensign, and, of course, the scriptures. I'm proud to say that I'm addicted to all of these.

And this lilt is diminished by ER, CSI, Heroes, Numb3rs, Fringe, Cold Case, Without a Trace, Law and Order, most novels, and much of the public news media. And, I'm embarrassed to say, I'm even more addicted to these.

I fully understand the experience Cindy described. Cindy's a quiet, spiritually sensitive mother of four including twins, whom we knew in our California ward. She was a great fan of Harry Potter, and once she described how, after she finished reading Rowling's latest publication at the time, she had to go into the bathroom and pray to dissipate the dark feeling that enveloped her.

Since that's the way I often feel, how long will it be before I determine that it just isn't worth it to subject my spirit to such depressing influences when there's so much better material to choose from? I suspect it may happen. If I live as long as Mom (not likely) I can imagine that this determination may come well before then.

2 comments:

Jeff and Amy said...

You bring up a lot of good points. I actually find myself feeling the same way when I read/watch certain things. I no longer watch the news and haven't for a few years because it just makes me sad/scared. I try to limit watching shows that contain too much violence because I feel the same way. I even won't watch Oprah shows that aren't uplifting and positive. I've found that the more I surround myself with positive happy things the better I feel. But, like you, I am sadly addicted to my evening shows, such as Fringe, Lost, House, etc. and they don't always have positive feelings associated with them.

I long to be able to go to Sunday School and Relief Society because of the awesome spiritual uplifting I feel there, but my calling is in the Primary, which is a great calling, but I long for adult lessons and interactions at church. When Porter finally was able to go to the nursery I was excited to finally be able to go to class and listen to what was taught, but that was when they called me into the Primary. And during Sacrament meeting I am preoccupied with Porter so I don't really pay much attention there either. Oh well, in due time.

As for books I find myself reading mostly self help books including how to raise kids and eating healthy, etc. - books where I can learn things and feel better about life/myself. But I have to admit I don't read the scriptures as often as I should. I really need to work on that. And we only make it to the temple perhaps once every other month because I hate having people watch Porter - I always feel like I am inconveniencing them. But I need to get over that. Anyway, sorry this is so long. Love you Dad!

ProudPapa said...

As I told you on the phone, Sweetheart, I loved this comment.

"I have no greater joy than to hear that my children walk in truth." 3 John 1:4