Friday, February 13, 2009

...going on fourteen

"Grandma says we're going to make valentines," I informed Claire when I picked her up today after their school valentine party was already history.

"For who?" she asked bluntly.

Hm. Direct challenge to adult rationality. From a six year old. She's going to be some teenager.

"Lucas gave me a transformer," she said.

The non sequitur threw me for a moment.

"A girl's transformer?" I asked. In the past, she's shown distinct antipathy toward boys' toys.

"No."

"I guess that means he likes you."

"He does."

"How do you know?"

"He only talks to me when he's around me -- or when I'm around him."

"Do you like him?"

Pause. "Yes. We met in the hall today and had a little chat."

I didn't dare pursue that any further. Hope the hall is well chaperoned.

No comments: