Sunday, December 14, 2008

Atkins was Right, or Beauty is More than Skin Deep

For nine years, conventional wisdom has told me that my predilection for cream and cheese is killing me, a view that people have constantly reminded me of. The issue, apparently, is arteriosclerosis, also known as "hardening of the arteries" or "plaque buildup."

This conversation occurred at the completion of a carotid artery ultrasound ordered in the aftermath of my recent "TIA" episode:

"I don't suppose you can comment on the results?" I asked the technician, hopefully.

"Well, the radiologist will come up with the numbers," she said, "but you're beautiful!"

"That's flattering," I said, "but I was asking about the ultrasound."

She giggled. "I look inside people's bodies every day, and that's where I find beauty. You're beautiful! There's no hint of plaque in your arteries, and, for a man your age, that's rare!"

The official radiology report later confirmed her assessment: "No significant fibrocalcific plaque...[and]...no evidence for hemodynamically significant stenosis." See a copy of the report on our family web site.

Significant is the fact that it is now nine years that I have been curbing carbs and welcoming fats -- with the encouragement of Atkins and with the biochemical explanation of "Syndrome X."

During that time, I have been criticized by people for being misled, reckless, and foolish. I most certainly had arteriosclerosis and was in danger of keeling over from a heart attack at any time. Particularly in light of Lawrence and Kitchener both having had heart trouble, I was placing myself at great risk.

Although Syndrome X's findings and explanation seemed compelling and my own blood tests showed improvement, still when conventional wisdom keeps getting hammered at you for a decade, you begin to wonder and doubt.

This doubt is now cleared up. Atkins was right. Syndrome X is right. Conventional wisdom is flat-out wrong. I'm not going to die of heart problems.

Instead, I'll die of cancer. I've had three different forms of it already. All of them originated before nine years ago, so I don't think low-carb/high-fat has had anything to do with them, but....

No comments: